Living in LA, there is no shortage of Mexican restaurants or specialty ingredients at our stores. As a matter of fact, I discovered a new grocery store that carries tons of Mexican and Middle Eastern specialty foods, not to mention, probably the best, affordable produce section I’ve seen in a while. Mind you, those two are not mutually exclusive. You can indeed be the BEST and be affordable.
It’s not uncommon for us to eat Mexican dishes several times a month. The Man loves my fish tacos and is a sucker for anything with cilantro, and I looooove beans. During my pregnancy with RJ, I regularly craved refried beans and hot salsa. We’d find ourselves at our favorite taco truck ordering carnitas, lengua, and even cabeza. Honestly, I didn’t know what cabeza was until I used process of elimination to put 2 and 2 together. But I ain’t mad at it.
I’ve been in a breakfast rut lately so this morning I thought I’d try to infuse our love for flavors from south of the border with our love for breakfast, and what I came up with was a hit!
Putting things together in a bowl seems to be a trend these days, but for a mom, having your meal in a bowl just makes
life easier actually eating a real possibility…and cleanup is also that much easier, which was the main factor behind this chilaquiles inspired dish served with Beanfield’s Sea Salt Rice & Bean Chips. If you remember, my friends over at Pregnant In The City introduced me to this delicious snack at the beginning of summer and it’s been a mainstay in our on-the-go snacking ever since. But, they also make for a great addition to meals that would normally call for tortilla chips.
Though traditional chilaquiles are served with all of the goodies on top of the chips, I actually don’t like my chips to get soggy so I served them on the side of this chilaquiles inspired bowl.
Chilaquiles Inspired Breakfast Bowl (serves 2)
- 1 can of black beans
- Salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of cheese
- Handful of cilantro
- Roasted tomatoes
- Salsa verde – you can find my special recipe here
- 1 avocado
- Rice (optional)
1. Heat beans and season to your liking with any or all: salt & pepper, a pinch of: cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder.
2. As they heat up, slightly mash them. Leave on low heat while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. Fry your eggs in a separate pan, cooking them until they are sunny side up.
4. Chop your cilantro, or rip it if you’re lazy 🙋🏽 and slice your avocado while you’re at it.
5. For the roasted tomatoes, you can prepare these in advance by drizzling with olive oil and popping them in the broiler for 15 minutes or so. If you don’t want them roasted, just chop some up to go on top.
- If you’d like to add rice to this bowl, be my guest, now would be the time to put it in.
- Put the beans in a bowl and add the cheese. Mix it until it’s all melty and delicious looking.
- Place the eggs on top.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, roasted tomatoes, and a drizzle of your favorite salsa verde.
- Finally, serve this beautifully assembled bowl with a side of Beanfield’s Rice & Bean Chips and dig in.
The best thing about this breakfast aside from it being insanely easy and delicious, is that it’s really filling and will hold you over until lunch.
If you try out this recipe or have tried Beanfield’s chips since my last post, let me know in the comments! Happy eating, mamas!0